Saturday, March 8, 2008

Aja


Last night I decided to throw Steely Dan’s Aja on the turntable, that’s right I said turntable. That’s not surprising to those who know me, but I do have a large collection of vinyl. Anyway, I’m always struck by how brilliant that album is and what a departure it was from anything that they had done prior.

I remember the day I bought that album (it’s still in mint condition by the way); it was 1977 La and I were living in Wichita Falls TX where I was a lowly Airmen, Amalthea was not yet born but on the way, we were driving around town and I decided to check out a record store that caught my eye. Sorry, I can’t remember the name of the store. We walked in and there at the front of the store was the new Steely Dan album.

Outstanding!

We didn’t have a pot to piss in back then, but I had to buy it. I was so happy, whooda thunk it. You could actually buy a Steely Dan album in hick town like Wicheeta Falls (we knew people with dirt floors there). I think it cost me 7.99. In all fairness to Wichita Falls it is a lovely Texas town way up north, but a little short on culture if you know what I mean.

But I digress a bit.

So we get home. Roll a fat one. Turn on our 13” black and white TV. Fiddle with the rabbit ears. Turn the sound off (which was our habit). Plop that brand new Steely Dan licorice pizza on the turntable.

The opening chords of Black Cow come through the speakers.

And I was blown away.

Aja is Steely Dan’s masterpiece. Broad and expansive in scope, courageous – a complete departure from anything they’d done previously. Although, there may have been hints of things to come in The Royal Scam, it took me completely by surprise.

Every track on that LP is great. Musicianship, lyrics, production it’s all perfect. Check out the roster of musicians:

Walter Becker - bass, guitar, electric guitar, vocals
Chuck Rainey - bass
Timothy B. Schmit - bass, vocals
Donald Fagen - synthesizer, keyboards, vocals, background vocals, whistle
Paul Griffin - keyboards, electric piano, vocals, background vocals
Don Grolnick - keyboards, clavinet
Michael Omartian - piano, keyboards
Joe Sample - keyboards, electric piano, clavinet
Larry Carlton - guitar, electric guitar
Denny Dias - guitar
Jay Graydon - guitar, electric guitar
Steve Khan - guitar
Dean Parks - guitar
Lee Ritenour - guitar
Pete Christlieb - flute, tenor saxophone
Chuck Findley - horn, brass
Jim Horn - flute, saxophone
Richard Hyde - trombone
Slyde Hyde - brass
Plas Johnson - flute, saxophone
Jackie Kelso - flute, horn, saxophone
Lou McCreary - brass
Bill Perkins - flute, horn, saxophone
Tom Scott - conductor, flute, tenor saxophone, lyricon
Wayne Shorter - flute, tenor saxophone
Bernard Purdie - drums
Steve Gadd - drums (on Aja)
Ed Greene - drums (on "I got the News")
Paul Humphrey - drums
Jim Keltner - percussion, drums
Rick Marotta - drums
Gary Coleman - percussion
Victor Feldman - percussion, piano, keyboards, electric piano, vibraphone
Venetta Fields - vocals, background vocals
Clydie King - vocals, background vocals
Rebecca Louis - vocals, background vocals
Shirley Matthews - vocals, background vocals
Michael McDonald - vocals, background vocals

Every one of these folks is famous in their own right.

Well I’m rambling. If you don’t own this CD, you really need to buy it. You won’t be disappointed.

By the way, I haven’t touched a joint in 30 years.

Jus so’s ya know.

Mom would be proud.

No comments: