Sunday, April 22, 2007

When angels fall

High Flight

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth

And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth

Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things

You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung

High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there

I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung

My eager craft through footless halls of air.

Up, up the long delirious, burning blue,

I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace

Where never lark, or even eagle flew -

And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod

The high untresspassed sanctity of space,

Put out my hand and touched the face of God.


Poem by:
Pilot Officer Gillespie Magee

No 412 squadron, RCAF
Killed 11 December 1941


An American Hero
Lt. Cmdr. Kevin Davis
Rest in Peace


1 comment:

Chavo said...

Growing up in LA in the sixties, television consisted of 9 channels on the VHF dial, and then there was Channel 52 operating out of Corona CA on the UHF dial. Channel 52 was where we got our daily dose of the Gigantor, Speed Racer, Our Gang and the Three Stooges.

Not all stations operated 24/7 in those days, as a matter of fact after the last installment of the Three Stooges ended at 6:00pm, the station signed off for the rest of the day.

Most of the channels on the VHF dial, with the exception of the big three ABC, CBS and NBC signed off at 2:00 am.

As each station signed off for the day, they played the Star Spangled Banner. Now here is where my memory gets a little fuzzy, but this poem was recited either before, during or immediately after the National Anthem. I remember the little thrill I got whenever I heard that poem, and would always wait to here it before I went to bed.